Saturday, December 18, 2010

This is what happens...

Dark Summit: The True Story of Everest's Most Controversial SeasonA quick followup to last week's book sale post: I immediately started reading Dark Summit: The True Story of Everest's Most Controversial Season by Nick Heil. Much to my suprise (and glee), it featured the story of the climbers of the TV show "Everest: Beyond the Limit" which my TiVo had been recording for me sporadically the past few months. I remembered someone had died (not from that team) but didn't think much about it. After reading Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by John Krakauer I learned this is pretty commonplace, rescue being incredibly difficult at 8,000 meters. It turns out because several members of the team passed the man while he was still alive, major controversy ensued. The book details the circumstances of the situation as well as another climber that season left for dead but ultimately rescued.

Ghosts of Everest: The Search for Mallory & IrvineSo, of course, I had to watch the show in it's entirety (both seasons) over the next few days (gotta love Netflix Instant Watch on my TiVo Premiere). I'm just itching to read something else about Everest. I managed to find Ghosts of Everest: The Search for Mallory & Irvine, which will be next and I can't wait. Super frustrated because I've blown my book budget for the month and I want this one now! Ack! I'm glad to have found it though - I mentioned in an earlier post about Everest I was searching for a good title on Mallory & Irvine. I've also just revisited the comments, and forgot about Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival by Joe Simpson. Double Ack!

Side note: Does anyone know how to find the PBS NOVA program on Mallory & Irvine? I can't find it anywhere, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

No comments:

Post a Comment